Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Department: Executive Team
Supervisor: Board of Directors
About Mamas for Mamas
Mamas for Mamas is a national charitable organization that supports mothers and caregivers in crisis by providing ongoing support to individuals and families facing various poverty-related struggles. Our mission is to change the landscape of poverty through innovative approaches to financial barriers faced by struggling families.
In a collaborative and innovative environment, the Chief Financial Officer will work alongside as 1 of 5 executive team members that will lead and empower the vision and mission of this fast paced not-for-profit organization. Working closely with the board of directors, the CFO will lead the organization’s finance function. In addition to overseeing the day-to-day transactions, the CFO will develop the organization’s internal controls program, prepare the budget and business plan and provide monthly financial reporting to key stakeholders. The CFO will coordinate with external auditors, tax authorities, and the Board of Directors, and will be involved with regulatory and legal matters as required.
This is a hybrid role, with a requirement to be in the office 3 times per week.
- This role is the financial leader of the organization.
- Mamas for Mamas is a dynamic organization that has grown significantly in the last five years. We need a CFO that can bring the financial sophistication and tools necessary to manage that growth in a financial and operational context.
- Assist the other executives and internal leaders in achieving their goals while maintaining effective internal controls and governance.
- In collaboration with the Executive, determine and implement the organization’s strategic objectives and policies in consultation with BOD.
- Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the BOD.
- Foster an egalitarian and kindness currency culture
- Support Founder with building relationships with stakeholders, politicians, the media and government officials in order to advance the organization’s goals.
Financial Forecasting and Analysis:
- In a collaborative manner, prepare the annual financial budget, and track the monthly results of the organization against this budget, investigating variances and providing supporting analysis.
- Prepare and maintain rolling earnings and cash flow forecasts to ensure financial stability and liquidity.
- Perform in-depth financial analysis to assess organizational performance, liquidity, and efficiency, and recommend improvements to drive financial growth and sustainability.
- Provide guidance and support in setting financial targets and key performance indicators (KPIs) for the organization.
Financial Reporting and Communication:
- Prepare financial update to accompany monthly Board meetings, including month-end results, variance tracking to budget, and any other pertinent financial information.
- Provide insightful financial advice and recommendations to senior management and board members to facilitate informed decision-making and ensure alignment with financial objectives.
- Prepare and present accurate and timely financial reports, critical matters to executive leadership, board of directors, and relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with accounting standards, regulatory requirements, and internal policies in all financial reporting and communication activities.
- Manage all internal, external and compliance financial audits (and team members).
- Ensure adequate assessment and mitigation of risk and compliance with applicable regulatory bodies.
Policies and Procedures:
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Develop, interpret, and apply all relevant contracts, policies and procedures.
- Work to develop and streamline processes for a high growth organization
Internal Financial Management
- Oversee the efficient and real-time recording of financial transactions, including purchases, sales, donation receipts, and payments, using appropriate bookkeeping software or tools. This will likely involve sourcing a third party or part time resource, which will be part of the CFO’s purview.
- Assist in processing payroll, calculating wages, and ensuring accurate deductions. Maintain employee records and handle related inquiries in cooperation with HR
- Prepare and maintain documentation required for tax filings, including income tax, sales tax, and payroll tax.
- Prepare financial statements, such as income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements, on a regular basis. Provide accurate and timely financial reports to management for decision-making purposes.
- In depth experience in the not-for-profit industry, bonus for working with a high growth organization
- A Canadian CPA designation with a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field
- Minimum 8 plus years of progressive experience in finance and accounting roles, including at least 3 years in a leadership capacity
- Big thinker and keen understanding of economic and global trends and patterns
- Excellent Excel skills: for example, you know vlookup is mostly outdated and only used in specific scenarios. You also despise hardcoding especially in financial models. Bonus points if you know Power Query and Power Pivot.
- High proficiency with QuickBooks Online and SalesForce
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex financial data and provide strategic insights
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across diverse cultures and time zones
- Desire to work in a fast-paced organization that is heart lead and impact focused
- Interested in growing within an organization for long term impact
- Keen understanding of sense of urgency, and willingness to go the extra mile for time sensitive issues
What We Offer:
- Loves working with not-for-profit organizations
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package with $500 wellness incentive
- 6 weeks annual vacation and extended long weekends , we have a work hard, rest hard culture
- Flexible work environment – “made by mamas for mamas”
- Opportunity to work with a talented and diverse team in a collaborative environment.
- Professional growth and development opportunities within a rapidly expanding organization.
- Exposure to national business practices and the chance to make a significant impact.
- Possible relocation expense for the right candidate
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com